A visit to our unique Museum at EDEN CAMP will transport you back in time to wartime Britain. You will experience the sights, sounds, even the smells of those dangerous years.
Please ignore the date on my snaps my camera seems to please itself what date it puts on my pics LOL!! and may I also say AOL have been a pain this week with there picture section I havn't been able to insert any at all from my holidays. At last it is working for me today Yehhhh!!!!! ........
EDEN CAMP !!!!!!
ON MY WAY HOME FROM MY HOLIDAY I CALLED AT THE PLACE ABOVE,
AS MOST OF YOU KNOW NOSTALGIA IS A SUBJECT THAT I LOVE.
THINKING AND LOOKING BACK GIVES ME A FEELING I CARN'T EXPLAIN.
SO I INTENDED CALLING IN HERE ONE DAY BE IT SUNSHINE OR BE IT RAIN.
IV'E BEEN GOING TO GO FOR MANY A YEAR BUT FOR SOME REASON NEVER GOT THERE.
WELL ON LOOKING ROUND IN ALL THE HUTS MANY THINGS MADE ME STARE.
NOT BEING BORN AT THIS TIME IT OPENED MY EYES A GREAT DEAL.
EVERYTHING I SAW INTRIGUED ME I HAD TO SNAP AND STEAL.
A PICTURE OF ALMOST EVERYTHING THOUGH SOME PLACES WERE HARD TO SNAP.
AS MANY THINGS WERE BEHIND GLASS WINDOWS SO I GOT THE WHOLE FLASHBACK.
AFTER I'D STROLLED AROUND FOR A WHILE I WENT TO THE MESS FOR MY LUNCH.
TYPICAL OF WHERE THE SOLDIERS ATE AND I MET SUCH A HAPPY BUNCH.
OF PENSIONERS ON A DAY TRIP THERE REMINISCING ABOUT THE WAR.
TELLING ME STORIES OF ALSORTS AND SOME OF THE SIGHTS THEY SAW.
ALL FULL UP WE CONTINUED ON AS I SNAPPED TO MY HEARTS CONTENT.
IT TAKES FOUR HOURS TO GO ROUND ROUGHLY BUT A DAY OUT VERY WELL SPENT.
THERES A TINY CINEMA INSIDE ONE HUT WHERE YOU CAN SEE A SHOW.
I DIDN'T SIT DOWN AS I PASSED THROUGH AS TOO MUCH TIME TO GO.
FOR THE SECOND SHOWING I'D MISSED THE FIRST ONE SADLY IT HAD PASSED BY.
WHILST STROLLING ROUND I TOOK THE SNAPS UP ABOVE WHICH CAUGHT MY EYE.
BUT I'D HAVE BEEN THERE FOR A WEEK I'M AFRAID SHOULD I HAVE TAKEN THEM ALL.
I WAS IN THIS MUSICAL HUT OF NOSTALGIA SINGING AWAY HAD A BALL.
BEFORE I LEFT THE CINEMA WE ALL SANG OUT LOUD IN TUNE.
HE-HE
TO THIS GREAT SONG I THINK YOU ALL KNOW ABOUT PEOPLE MEETING AGAIN SOON.
CAN YOU VISUALISE ME SINGING JAN I WISHED YOU HAD BEEN THERE .
I KNOW YOU LOVE A SING SONG LIKE ME WE ARE A PAIR. HE-HE.
SO I'LL LEAVE YOU WITH THE WORDS HERE NOW TO SING TO ME TILL NEXT TIME.
I HOPE YOUV'E ENJOYED THIS BIT OF NOSTALGIA HERE IN
"MY SIMPLE RHYME ".
14 comments:
Oh what a wonderful visit you had Kath, and such lovely memories. I can just picture you singing that song. I know that there were some really horrific moments during the War, but there was also a wonderful sense of national pride and the blessings of a nation working together against a common enemy as one. I don't think many of the young people today realize the price that was paid so that they can enjoy the freedoms that they do, the privation and sacrifice that people in this country endured. They have a big war and peace show down here each year and there is always a big tent that you can go and sit in and enjoy wartime music and entertainments. It's great fun! Another wonderful entry and amazing poem!
love,
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/
That must have been a sight to see. I love nostalgia also and for the most part think it is important to have sights such as your war camp to remind us of what our brave ancestors endured so that now we enjoy the freedoms we have. Hope
aol continues to work for you. We all have those days when it doesn't.
'On Ya' - ma
Yes I can imagine you having a jolly good ole sing song ,and yes I most certainly would have joined you ,I had a micky mouse gas mask like the one shown and my baby brother had one for babies ,just like the pictures ,loved reading the titles on the sheet music 'Pedro the fisherman''everyone sang whistled that one !!and good old George Formby ! What a lovely day I too would have enjoyed that day out ..love ya ...Jan xxx
Great entry Kath!
On Saturday we visited my poorly BIL, his younger Brother was there, and he lives in Pickering.Funnily enough he spoke about the 'Eden Camp'
We pass through Malton on our way to Scarborough, which is a rare occasion just now.
Aileen....X
Lovely memories Kath. I can hum most of those tunes! Dearly Beloved was, and still is, my absolute favourite.
My father's firm manufactured gas masks, so I always had the very latest model. How I hated the claustrophobia and the rubbery smell. Thank goodnessw we never had to use them.
Bunny xx
Awwww looks like you had a wonderful time... that is good. Thank you for sharing the pictures Kath. A couple of pix are missing on my end of the line? Wishing you another wonderful week with lots of blessings. Hugs, Janie
That looks fascinating, Kath! I love to visit places like that. I was just going through Jan's old house by the canal. That's really neat that you had your lunch at the mess hall. Count me in for the next sing along. My children always laugh because I just love singing old songs at the top of my lungs. Love xx Chris
KATH, YOU ARE A LOYAL CITIZEN. sam
If only we'd sent George Formby off to Germany, they'd have surrendered unconditionally within a week. ;O)
B. x
Hi Kath, I love wartime museums, we went to an airforce musuem in Kent earlier in the year and we were almost transported back in time.....great stuff! :o)
Love Sandra xxxx
Hi hon, this is one of your best entries. I loved it..love you too.
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK
Awesome!! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us~!! Love, Shelly
What a great time you had at the war museum Kath ,Jan would have enjoyed I'm sure ,she bought me for my b/day last week a fridge magnet of Wills Woodbines as our Dad smoked them and it bought back lovely memories of him ,Jan was so pleased to get the ration book you sent her ,I still have mine from all those years ago !.....Love Jeanxx
The War Museum certainly looks much more interesting and fun than I would have ever thought. I'm happy you had the chance to get there after waiting all those years. Thanks for taking us with you!! ;)
xxx
Lisa
Post a Comment