YES I'M BACK FROM MY HOLIDAYS J/LAND BUT THIS ISN'T AN HOLIDAY RHYME.
I HAVN'T UPLOADED MY PICTURES YET SO I THOUGHT I WOULD POST THIS TIME.
ABOUT A PHOTO I FOUND LAST NIGHT LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ELSE.
PLUS A LITTLE STORY ABOUT MY SISTER AND A LITTLE ABOUT MYSELF.
OH! FOR THE GOOD OLD SCHOOLDAYS AND HOW I LOVED THEM SO.
WHEN VERY YOUNG I LOVED THEM AND WITH EAGERNESS I'D GO .
EACH AND EVERY MORNING UP AT THE CRACK OF DAWN.
LOOKING FORWARD ONCE AGAIN TO ANOTHER SCHOOLDAY MORN.
THEN ONE EVENING SADLY TRAGEDY STRUCK WHAT A MESS.
MY SISTER WHILST DOING HER HOMEWORK CAUGHT FIRE HER FLANNEL NIGHTDRESS.
FATHER RUSHED OVER AND GRABBED HER QUICK AND ROLLED HER IN A RUG.
NOT TO MAKE HER COSY NOR TO MAKE HER NICE AND SNUG.
BUT TO DIE OUT ALL THE FLAMES WHICH RAGED AND ENVELOPED HER SO.
THE AMBULANCE CAME AND TO THE HOSPITAL SISTER MOTHER AND FATHER DID GO.
WELL THE STORY GOES MY FATHERS HANDS WERE VERY BADLY BURNED .
A LESSON DON'T SIT WITH YOUR BACK TO THE FIRE MY SISTER QUICKLY LEARNED.
MY MOTHER SHE WAS ILL WITH THE SHOCK AND THE THREE OF THEM YOU SEE.
WERE OUT OF ACTION SO EVERYTHING HAD TO BE DONE AT THAT TIME BY ME.
THIS MEANT I HAD A WEEK OFF SCHOOL TO HELP THEM ALL BACK THEN.
SO FATHER SENT OFF A LETTER TO THE HEAD TO TELL HIM WHEN .
MOTHER FELT MUCH BETTER I WOULD RETURN TO SCHOOL ONCE MORE.
I WAS VERY UPSET AND SAD THEY WERE BURNED AND ALL SO VERY SORE.
YET STILL MY HEART WAS LONGING TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL AGAIN.
SO I TOO WAS A LITTLE SORE BECAUSE IN MY HEART I FELT A PAIN.
THEN CAME A LETTER FROM THE SCHOOL I'D WON A MEDAL HE-HE.
TWO YOUNG LADS AND ONLY ONE GIRL OUT OF ALL THE SCHOOL YES ME.
FOR PERFECT ATTENDANCE THE HEADLINES READ JUSTICE REAPS IT'S REWARDS.
THIS THE TITLE IN THE LOCAL PAPER AND A PICTURE WITH OUR AWARDS.
FOR NEVER BEING LATE OR ABSENT FOR THE WHOLE OF ALL THREE YEARS.
AND IT WOULD HAVE BEEN FOUR YEARS IF THAT EVENING HADN'T BROUGHT TEARS.
SO BECAUSE I HAD ONE WEEK OFF SCHOOL TO HELP OUT AT THAT SAD TIME .
THIS HAD BROKEN THE FOUR YEAR ATTENDANCE BUT ALL HAD TURNED OUT FINE.
WELL OFF I WENT THIS WINTERS MORNING ALONG TO MEET THE PRESS.
HAIR DONE UP IN THE BOUFFANT (HE-HE) IN A CANDY STRIPED WOOL DRESS.
FOURTEEN YEARS OF AGE I WAS AND FEELING OH! SO PROUD.
THAT I HAD EARNED AN ATTENDANCE MEDAL CHEERED ON BY THE SCHOOL CROWD.
I CAME ACROSS THE PICTURE FRIENDS FROM THE PAPER JUST LAST NIGHT.
AND I LAUGHED MY LID OFF AT IT WELL DON'T I LOOK A SIGHT. HE-HE.
LOOK AT THE CRAZY HEADBAND BUT THEY WERE ALL THE RAGE.
PLUS THE KISS CURLS ROUND MY CHEEKS HE-HE IN THE HEADLINES ON THE FRONT PAGE.
I AM HAPPY TO ALSO TELL YOU THAT MY SISTER SHE DID REAL WELL.
NO SCARS FROM THE BURNS HER SKIN HEALED GREAT SO EVERYTHING TURNED OUT SWELL.
WELL HERES THE PRESENTATION PIC COUNCILLOR BARNES IS SAYING WELL DONE.
FOR NEVER BEING LATE OR ABSCENT YES MY SCHOOLDAYS THEY WERE FUN.
THE MESSAGE ON THE MEDALS NOT PLAIN AS YOU ALL WILL SEE.
I DIDN'T WANT MY MAIDEN NAME SHOWING I HOPE YOU ALL AGREE.
I WORKED HARD AND I DID MY BEST AT SCHOOL AND I ALWAYS SHOWED RESPECT.
NEVER THINKING I'D GET A MEDAL AT ALL NO NOTHING DID I EXPECT.
SO SHORTLY I WILL POST A RHYME WITH SOME PICS FROM MY HOLIDAY.
UNTIL THEN I HOPE YOU ARE ALL FEELING WELL BUT FOR NOW I WILL ONCE AGAIN SAY.
OH! FOR THE GOOD OLD SCHOOLDAYS I LOVED ONCE UPON A TIME.
EVERY DAY I LOOKED FORWARD TO GOING TO SCHOOL AS YOU'VE READ IN
"MY SIMPLE RHYME".
17 comments:
I'm so glad you are back and writing your rhymes once more. How lovely you look in the picture. I know it must have been a hard time, but finding the article must have brought back a lot of memories for you. School days were exciting and soon everyone here will be back to it. I have several family members that are teachers too. I'll be looking forward to those holiday pictures. 'On Ya' - ma
Great to read this entry ,they used to say that your school days are the best days of your life ,and though we didnt believe them at the time they were so right ,it all seems so long ago now ,loved the picture you looked so sweet ,look forward to your pictures ..love Jan xx
Oh you were soooooo pretty Kath!!! I just know you had a slew of boyfriends too!! I was so happy to read that everyone turned out ok...Can't wait to see your vacation pictures...
Take care and God bless,
love,
carlene
Glad that you are back Kath. :) Hope you had a wonderful time and will enjoy seeing the pictures. School was fun now that I think back. lol Oh how sad about your sister. Awww cute little young lady. Looks good to me. Yes, agree about maiden name. I only won one award in school... teacher chose me. hehehe Kids did not! hehehe I was very quiet... can you believe that Kath?? hehehe I got the Best Citizenship Award. lol Have a restful time until you post again. Hugs, Janie
Glad you're back, Kath. I enjoyed reading
about the school days and your award, which
you earned. I loved going to school, too. I
don't know why some dread it so. Looking
forward to more pictures and poems. Pat
great to hear from you!!
Lyn
http://journals.aol.com/ukgal36/Britsblog/
What a great story, Kath. Wincyette comesw to mind; very flammable. How lucky your sister was not to be permanently scarred.
Love the photo of a very young, very bouffant you!
Bunny xx
What a smashing rhyme MH. Mum always used to sit us with our backs to the fire in our wincey nighties on a Satuday night to dry our hair! Good job we had a big fire guard.
love, Ange, xx
Oh Kath, I did love this rhyme from you and am so glad that there were no long lasting effects from your sister's and father's burns. I can remember getting perfect attendance medals when I was at school and for Sunday School as well and oh how very proud I was of myself to get them too! You look pleased as punch and well you should have been!! I loved seeing the 14 year old you! Funny Angie and I were just sharing school time remembrances via the telephone earlier this afternoon and here I check your journal and it's about a school time remembrance. Wonderful!! Love you loads my dear friend! Lots of hugs coming your way from down South. Hope you feel better soon.
love,
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/
Have been missing you glad you are back. Burns nasty things. Love Joan.
Cor, what a swot. I bet you brought the teacher an apple as well. ;O)
Gad you're sister was okay though.
B. x
Hi! Kath.....almost strangers (lol)
Another lovely entry from you. Can't say I enjoyed School as much as you, and funnily enough I missed a lot because of childhood illness....one period of nine months. Some good memories of junior school, but passed the 11 plus (showing my age) and wasn't thrilled with Secondary modern.
Allan and I were in Bridlington last Friday, and enjoyed 'Beside the Seaside' exhibition., remembering your 'entry'
Much love
Aileen....X
Hi Kath, How awful for you all when your sister`s nightdress caught fire, its something none of you would forget. Well done for winning that award, you look so proud and so you should be. Today many children don`t even bother going to school, let alone be such good attenders!
Love Sandra xxxx
htpp://journals.aol.com/labdancer51/SandrasScribbles/
Glad to see you back posting and commenting. Your award was something to be very proud of. I never liked school much. Paula
KATH, YOU DID WELL IN sCHOOL.
WE LEARNED BETTER WHEN ATTENDING EACH DAY. sam
Hi Kath ,I'm all behind like the cats tail !!! sorry about your sisters nightie catching fire ,thankfully it all turned out well and great you were given the award for good attendance ..well done ....love Jeanxx
That his quite an award to receive, well done. My goodness I bet it was so frightening to see your sister on fire.
xxx
Lisa
Post a Comment