I WAS THINKING OF THE GOOD OLD DAYS WHEN I WAS JUST A KID.
SAT ALONE IN SILENCE ABOUT THE THINGS WE DID.
NO COMPUTERS PLAYSTATIONS OR BRAND NEW BIKES AND THINGS.
OWN TV OR MOBILE PHONE IN POCKET THAT DOES RING
THE ONLY THING WITH WHEELS ON WAS A HOME MADE WOOD GO GART.
BUT WE WERE GRATEFULL ANYWAY FROM BOTTOM OF OUR HEART.
A PIECE OF ROPE TO STEER IT WITH NO BRAKES JUST USED YOUR FEET.
THE WHEELS DAD GOT FROM AN OLD USED PRAM AND A PLANK IT WAS YOUR SEAT.
WE THOUGHT WE WERE IN HEAVEN WHEN OUR DAD PRODUCED THIS TOY.
ALL OF THEM JUST BLAND OLD WOOD NOT COLOURS FOR GIRL OR BOY.
WE'D SET UP WACKEY RACES AND DOWN THE HILL WE'D GO.
TEARING VERY FAST WE WENT LIKE LIGHTENING NEVER SLOW.
SCREAMING AND LOUD SHOUTING ECHOED FROM OUR FRIENDS.
AND SUDDENLY ONE WOULD LEAVE THE TRACK WHEN FLYING ROUND THE BENDS.
A TOY WE ALL WERE PROUD OF YOU NEVER HEARD US MOAN.
WE WERE THANKFULL FOR SMALL MERCY'S AND A REALY HAPPY HOME.
SKIPPING ROPES FROM WASHING LINES SPINNING TOPS AND SUCH.
NOT COSTING A SMAL FORTUNE AS OUR PARENTS DIDN'T HAVE MUCH.
YET STILL WE WERE SO HAPPY DOLLS MADE FROM A PEG.
OUR PARENTS WORKED HARD EVERY DAY THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO BEG
IN THEM DAYS JUST FOR COPPERS ALL SPOKEN FOR EACH WEEK.
BUT KIDS AND FAMILIES HAPPIER AND GRATEFULL SO TO SPEAK.
TREAT OF THE WEEK ON SATURDAY MORN AND OFF WE ALL WOULD GO.
RUNNING TO THE CINEMA TO WATCH THE WEEKLY SHOW.
FLASH GORDON AND THREE STOOGES BOWERY BOYSAND ALL.
OUR ONE PENNY SPENT ON ENTRANCE AND WE REALY HAD A BALL.
SAT ON WOODEN BENCHES OUR EYES GLUED TO THE SCREEN.
NO PORN OR SEX AROUND KIDS THEN NOTHING WAS OBSCENE
WITH PENNY EXTRA SPENT ON LOAF I NEVER DID BUY SWEETS.
I LOVED MY PENNY HOVIS FRIENDS LOVED THERE OTHER TREATS.
PARENTS NOT AROUND US WE WERE SAFE ALL SEVEN DAYS.
KNOWONE WILL CONVINCE ME THEY WERN'T "THE GOOD OLD DAYS"
CHRISTMAS BROUGHT TWO GIFTS FOR US BENEATH A BRANCH FROM TREE.
IF DAD WORKED OVER MANY HOURS WE MAYBE THEN GOT THREE.
AN APPLE AND AN ORANGE OR MAYBE A LITTLE GAME.
A PACK OF HAPPY FAMILY CARDS ALL WITH FUNNY NAMES.
WE'D ALL SIT ROUND THE TABLE MUM DAD SISTERS
THREE.
PLAYING TOGETHER FOR HOURS ON END LIKE FAMILIES SHOULD BE.
DAYS WERE ALWAYS HAPPY SCHOOLTIMES TOO WERE GOOD.
I DON'T THINK THESE TIMES WILL RETURN BUT I REALY WISH THEY WOULD.
TO LEARN THIS NEXT GENERATION TO APPRECIATE AND RESPECT.
NOT ALWAYS ON THE WANT FOR MORE THEY SIMPLY JUST EXPECT.
HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND EVERYONE!!!!!!!!
Astoriasand
3 comments:
This really is one of your best I just so enjoyed reading it and how true it is ~ those lovely memories of childhood ~ Ally
How wonderful...I loved reading this so much...I remember watching the Three Stooges, I loved it so much. All those shows back then were great. One of my favorites were the Little Rascals!
http://journals.aol.com/derasta/MyBigFatGreekLife/
I do think this is one of your best! I had forgotten about the 'Bowery Boys' as they were really good and I would be excited to know they were on as they were not regulars on the programming. If we could get a large cardboard container like for a refrigerator we would get inside and make it roll down a small hill behind the house. We could find a cheap 'illegal' bicycle with a lawnmower engine that had been fitted in the frame with a V-belt and a shime attached to the rear spokes. They had no brakes and one leg had to be straddled around the motor. They were not allowed on the streets so we would have to sneak around on them. I had to earn my money from mowing yards, shoveling snow, and then I got a paper route after being a regular paperboy's helper and when he gave it up I got the route. My parent's remembered the 'Great Depression' and believed in saving money saying ' it could happen again '. I got too excited bidding on a guitar at a going out of buisness sale and outbid myself by $5 and made the crowd laugh. I had to pay the extra $5 also. mark
Post a Comment