Saturday, 6 October 2007

"MY OLD PALETTE KNIFE"

 
    
 
NOW I'M BACK TO NORMAL FRIENDS IT'S DIFFICULT WHAT TO WRITE.
 
AS I DON'T LEAD AN EXCTIING LIFE LIKE I DID ON MY HOLIDAYS RIGHT. HE-HE.
 
SO I THOUGHT TODAY I'D TELL YOU ABOUT MY OLD PALETTE KNIFE.
 
THE ONE I'VE HAD FOR YEARS NOW WELL ALL MY MARRIED LIFE.
 
FIRST HAVE YOU GOT ANYTHING OLD IN THE HOME THAT YOU JUST LOVE.
 
SOMETHING YOU WOULDN'T PART WITH GIVE AWAY OR WOULD NOT SHOVE.
 
IN THE GARBAGE BIN BECAUSE TO YOU IT MEANS SO MUCH.
 
SOMETHING THAT IS USEFUL AND SOMETHING THAT YOU TOUCH.
 
WELL LET ME TELL YOU NOW MY FRIENDS ABOUT MY PALETTE KNIFE.
 
MY MOTHER GAVE IT TO ME WHEN I BECAME A WIFE.
 
SOMEHOW NO MATTER HOW I TRIED I FOUND I COULDN'T PEEL .
 
POTATOES OR ANYTHING ELSE WITHOUT MOTHERS KNIFE TO FEEL.
 
WHEN A GIRL I'D CUT THE  BREAD AND ONTO EVERY SLICE I'D  TWIRL.
 
A BIG KNOB OF BEST BUTTER WITH THIS KNIFE IT SEEMED TO SWIRL..
 
THE BUTTER SEEMED TO SPREAD SO EASY WITH THIS PALETTE KNIFE.
 
I OFTEN WONDERED IF I'D MISS IT WHEN I WAS A WIFE.
 
SO WHEN I DID GET MARRIED I MISSED IT REALY BAD.
 
THEN MOTHER CAME ONE DAY AND ASKED ME WHY I WAS SO SAD.
 
I TOLD HER I'D TRIED EVERYTHING TO PEEL THINGS WHEN I COOKED.
 
AND HOW I STRUGGLED ON BUT ON HER PALETTTE KNIFE WAS HOOKED.
 
SO SHE WENT ACROSS THE ROAD TO HOME AND BROUGHT TO ME HER KNIFE.
 
SAID HERE IT'S YOURS NOW KATHLEEN IV'E HAD THIS ALL MY LIFE.
 
I WAS OVER THE MOON MY FRIENDS  I POPPED IT IN MY DRAWER.
 
THINKING GREAT I WON'T BE STRUGGLING TO PEEL THINGS ANYMORE.
 
IT'S THE HANDIEST LITTLE THING I OWN AND ITS GOT LOTS OF USE.
 
IT FILLS HOLES UP WITH POLLYFILLER  IT'S A SCREWDRIVER TO REPLACE A FUSE. HE-HE.
 
BUT NOW MY PRIZE POSESSION DOESN'T SIT IN THE DRAWER ANYMORE.
 
I HIDE IT ONLY WHERE I KNOW FOR ANY KIND OF CHORE.
 
AS ONE TIME YES MY PARTNER HE USED IT IN THE SHED.
 
FOR  SOME KIND OF A JOB AND THEN HE BROKE OFF IT'S BONE HEAD. AWWWWWWW
 
I WAS TERRIBLY UPSET AND HE THOUGHT THAT I'D GONE MAD. HE-HE
 
BUT I THOUGHT HE MEANT HE'D BROKE THE KNIFE AND I WAS REALY SAD.
 
OH !!  NO NO ONLY THE HANDLE  I REPLIED WELL THAT WON'T DO.
 
I'M GOING TO FIND A PLACE FOR IT AND HIDE AWAY FROM YOU.   HE-HE.
 
WELL IF HE BROKE THIS KNIFE I TELL YOU I WOULD BE SO LOST.
 
AS NOTHING CAN COMPARE TO IT NO AT ANY COST.  HE-HE.
 
IT SKIMS AROUND MY BAKING BOWL AND DOESN'T LEAVE A LICK.
 
OF ANYTHING ON THE BOWL AT ALL IT  EMPTIES  IN A TICK.
 
DON'T YOU THINK IT'S STRANGE HOW WE JUST GET SO USED TO THINGS.
 
AND SOMETIMES HOW SUCH WORTHLESS BITS JOY TO US THEY BRING.
 
SO MY FRIENDS HAVE YOU GOT ANYTHING THAT YOU LIKE TO USE.
 
WHICH YOUV'E HAD FOR YEARS LIKE ME THATS USEFUL AND WELL BRUISED.
 
IF YOU HAVE THEN TELL ME IN YOUR COMMENT DOWN BELOW.
 
AS I AM OFTEN CURIOUS AND I'D LIKE TO KNOW.
 
IT'S  WORTH IT'S WEIGHT IN GOLD TO ME MY OLD PALLETTE KNIFE .
 
I'M HOPING IT CONTINUES TO SERVE ME ALL MY MY LIFE.
 
I'M SURE IT WILL BE WITH ME UNTIL THE END OF TIME.
 
THIS SIMPLY PALETTE  KNIFE OF MINE THATS IN
 
                       "MY SIMPLE RHYME"   HE-HE HE.
 
 
 

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely entry. Memories we attach to some items, & we hold on tight. :)
Hugs,
Sugar

Anonymous said...

love the entry. have a good weekend. ((((((hugs))))))
Cindy

Anonymous said...

What an interesting entry ,I have got a grater ,that my Mother had in her bottom drawer ,I have replaced it with new shiny ones but still go back to that old one ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I have a leather indian bag that I first carried my clothes in when I left home at 16. When Doc goes away over night with his band, I pack his clothes in that same bag. All these years, it doesn't show it's age and has remained with me since the beginning of my journey. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

I have a very old electric hand mixer my grandma used to use.  I don't use it often but when I do I think of her.  It is so old the words are worn off and I can't even read what it once said but I will not give up my little green mixer.  I had to chuckle about your mate breaking the handle and thinking you had gone mad.....I think it's good you hide it from him now.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

The best heirlooms are tools! They contain memory of daily life. Jewels and other "treasure" just can't compare. --Cin

Anonymous said...

I got my little peeling knife when we were first married (50yrs)and I once couldn't find it and looked everywhere including the garbage... finally found it and you would think I found a treasure.... and guess what. I was at the check out at a store the other day and saw one just like  it for the first time and bought it without a second thought. now I have 2 and am as happy as can be for sure.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Very nice tribute to your mother.  My mom gave me some old silverware when I got my first apartment and I still have it.  Using it makes me feel closer to her.


Russ

Anonymous said...

Does the knife look like the one in the bottom pic?  I have never heard of a 'palette' knife... so not sure of the shape or style.  I think it was very sweet of your mom to give it to you...  :-)

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading this Kath! I have a few things that were my Gran's and mom's that are very special to me indeed and God help anyone who messes with them!  Men can be really annoyingly stupid with such things.  I am always telling Todd not to use my good kitchen scissors out in the garden and then a few days later I will have to rescue them from him again!  I just think that they don't stop to think.  (they have such small brains you know, hehehe)  Have a great Sunday Kath!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I have a little knife that I would find hard to replace its tiny but it chops carrots great. Love Joan.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kath, I loved this rhyme. I have a plastic jug that I bought from Mothercare especially for making up baby milk formula. It`s 33 years old now and has withstood the test of time. After finding itself reduntant from its original task it was used for mixing gravy etc, in the kitchen. Now its to be found in the bathroom cupboard and is used for cleaning the said bathroom. I couldn`t bear to throw it away and doubt I`ll ever need to! :o)

Love Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

Isn't it nice how some items can just trigger the best memories!  Love this entry and that's an adorable pic of the little girl carving the turkey!  Hope you're having a great weekend.  Blessings, Linda  

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have lots of old things I couldn't do with out.  From dishes, pots, pans, the works.  What a treasure you have with the knife being a gift from your Mom.  Sometimes old things are just the best and new cannot replace them at all.  'On Ya' -ma

Anonymous said...

I've got a favourite knife, Kath.  I really do panic if I mislay it!
Bunny xx

Anonymous said...

Humm Kath I have a favorite knife too. The plastic handle is ugly because I left it on the cook stove one time and part of it melted. I just used it a while ago to cut up lettuce, tomato, and onion for a salad. I could never part with it. Nice entry, Paula

Anonymous said...

Oh yes....I have so many things I just couldn't do without! :o)
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Everyone has a ;juicer' these days, including me!  But t's in the shed as I much prefer my old glass lemon squeezer that was Grandma's.  I have a smart set of stainless stel measuring spoons too but for a tablespoon measure out comes the EPNS (electro plated nickel silver) one that was in a box of assorted bits I got from the local market in 1971, just before we were married.  By, it's done some stirring that!
love, Angie, xx