( THANKYOU TO DONNA OF D'S DESIGN'S FOR THIS GREAT GRAPHIC )
THIS TIME I'M RHYMING AND TELLING YOU ALL ABOUT OUR MID WEEK LAS VEGAS PLAN
WHAT WE DECIDED TO DO WAS RIDE OUT AND GO SEE THE HOOVER DAM.
SO WE GOT UP EARLY AND OFF WE SET AS WE WERE NOT SURE HOW LONG.
THE JOURNEY WOULD BE AND WE WANTED ALSO AFTERWARDS TO CARRY ON.
WE THOUGHT INTO ARIZONA AND UTAH AND TRAVEL A LITTLE ROUND THERE.
GOOD GRIEF I PACKED ALMOST EVERYTHING AND I REALY WENT PREPARED.
SON HAS A LOT OF COMMON SCENSE AND IN HIS MIND HE DIDN'T SEE THE POINT .
OF HIRING A CAR TO LET IT STAND PARKED WHEN WE COULD CHRISTEN IT AND ANNOUNT.
ALL OF THE WONDERFUL PLACES NEVADA HAS TO EXPLORE.
WE AGREED WHOLE HEARTEDLY WITH HIM I KNEW I COULDN'T WANT MORE.
WHEN WE WERE ON THE JOURNEY A CALL OF NATURE CAME FOR ME.
SO SON WAS LOOKING FOR SIGN POSTS WHEN HE SPOTTED ONE YEH !! . HE-HE .
THIS WAS A LAYBY BY WHICH YOU COULD STAY AND WASN'T I GLAD HE DID.
AS WE TURNED DOWN THIS SLOPE TO PAY A CALL JUST LOOK WHAT WE FOUND THERE HID.
WE HAD LANDED IN THIS BEAUTIFUL SPOT AND WE LEARNED IT WAS PART OF LAKE MEAD.
IF YOU DON'T KNOW ALREADY IN MY NEXT RHYME IS WHERE IT WAS GOING TO LEAD.
US ALL TO ISN'T IT JUST WONDERFUL WHEN YOU FIND SUPRIZES LIKE THIS.
I WAS HAPPY NATURE HAD TAKEN IT'S COURSE AS I WOULDN'T HAVE WANTED TO MISS.
ALL THE WONDERFUL SNAPSHOTS I GOT AND THE SCENERY OUT OF THIS WORLD.
MOUNTAINS IN THE BACKGROUND BLUE SKY'S AND AQUA WATER WHICH SWIRLED.
IN THE PICTURES IV'E PLACED UP ABOVE YOU WILL SEE SOME LOVELY BOAT HOMES.
I COULD HAVE SPENT AN HOLIDAY HERE AWAY FROM EVERYTHING NO GROANS LOL!!
FOR MANY MILES AS WE DROVE ALONG I KEPT SPOTTING IT NOW AND THEN.
I AM GLAD THE CAR WAS AIR CONDITIONED AS DEGREES HAD GONE UP AGAIN.
I WON'T PLACE ALL THE SNAPS IN MY RHYME HERE I HAVE PUT YOU LOTS AT THE TOP.
IT'S A LABOUROUS CHORE THIS INSERTING PICS WHEN AS YOU KNOW THERE ARE LOTS.
ABOUT ANOTHER FIFTEEN MINUTE DRIVE AND THEN FINALLY WE ARRIVED.
WHEN I SAW THE BOTTOM OF THE HOOVER DAM I FELT THAT I COULD HAVE DIVED.
INTO THE WATER SO CLEAR AND AQUA IT WAS JUST LIKE THE AGEAN SEA.
ON THE BEACHES IN SKIATHOS IN GREECE WHICH IS A FAVOURITE PLACE TO ME.
FIRST JOB WAS WE WENT FOR SOME LUNCH TO THE WELCOMING HOOVER DAM CAFE
MY STOMACH ONCE MORE THOUGHT MY THROAT WAS CUT AND I WAS DYEING FOR A COFFEE HE-HE.
DOWN A STEEP ROAD YOU HAVE TO WALK AND THEN THE VIEWS THEY ALL START.
WELL I'M SORRY MY FRIENDS BUT I CARN'T FIND THE WORDS THE SIGHT JUST WON MY HEART.
MAGNIFICANT POWERFUL WONDERFUL AMAZING HOW DO I REALY DISCRIBE .
THIS MARVELOUS WONDER IN FRONT OF US STARING US IN THE EYE.
BECAUSE THIS WAS JUST SOMETHING DIFFERANT IT ALMOST TOOK MY BREATH.
SOME OF THE VIEWS THEY GIVE ME A SCARE AS WITH SOME HEIGHTS I'M FRIGHTENED TO DEATH.
BUT I RISKED AND SNAPPED SO MANY THEY WERE FAR TOO NICE TO LET GO.
LOTS OF IMFORMATION BOARDS ALSO TO TELL WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW.
OSKAR HANSON'S PLAZA SCULPTURES WERE SAID TO BRING YOU GOOD LUCK.
IF YOU STOPPED AND RUBBED THERE GOLD FEET RIGHT THERE BUT I FORGOT AW SHUCKS.
I DIDN'T GIVE THEM A RUB WHEN I PASSED I MUST HAVE BEEN MILES AWAY.
THEN AGAIN THERE WAS THAT MUCH OCCUPYING MY MIND AND IT WAS SUCH A RED HOT DAY.
THIS LADYWAS CHATTING TO ME AT ONE TIME AND SHE SAID THE SAME AS ME.
SHE HAD NEVER EXPERIANCED ANYTHING LIKE IT WHAT A WONDERFUL SIGHT TO SEE.
WELL WE SPENT QUITE A TIME AT THE HOOVER DAM AND THEN DECIDED TO ROAM.
OH NO SON WASN'T HAVING ANYONE SUGGEST THAT WE SHOULD NOW GO STAIGHT BACK HOME.
SO WHAT DO YOU THINK HE DID NEXT MY FRIENDS ON LEAVING THE HOOVER DAM.
ABOUT A MILE AND A HALF DOWN THE ROAD THERE HE STOPPED AND SAID YES OF COURSE WE CAN.
I ASKED HIM WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT AND HE LAUGHED AND SAID MUM YOU WAIT HERE.
I COULD HAVE COLLAPSED WHEN HE CAME BACK WITH FLIGHT TICKETS I WAS FILLED WITH FEAR.
YES HE HAD BOOKED THE HELICOPTER FLIGHT OVER THE DAM AND RIVER.
I DARN'T COMPLAIN BUT TO BE QUITE HONEST I REALY BEGAN TO SHIVVER. HE-HE.
YOU HAVE TO GET WEIGHED AND ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS THEN AWAY YOU SET OFF UP HIGH .
THE PILOT PICKS YOU UP AT THE BOTTOM DRIVES UP A STEEP CLIFF TOP OH MY.
I HONESTLY WAS QUITE NERVOUS ABOUT THIS I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO CRY.
SAYING MY PRAYERS AND HEART BEATING FAST I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE. HE-HE.
I HAVE TO REPEAT AND SAY MY FRIENDS IT JUST TAKES YOUR BREATH AWAY.
JUST LOOK AT THIS PICTURE HERE I AM PLACING ISN'T IT JUST AN ARRAY.
OF AQUAMARINE AND BEAUTY FANTASTIC I'M SURE YOU'LL ALL AGREE.
I DON'T REALY KNOW WHAT YOU MIGHT THINK BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO AGREE WITH ME.
I WILL ADMIT I WAS GLAD WHEN IT TOUCHED DOWN MY HEART WAS IN MY MOUTH.
BUT THEN AGAIN SOMETIMES I AM TIMID LIKE A VERY SMALL MOUSE. HE-HE.
THEY ARE BUILDING A BRIDGE NOW OVER THE DAM CAN YOU SEE THE LARGE PILLARS OF STONE.
SO MAYBE ONE DAY FOLKS YOU'LL RIDE OVER THERE LEADING YOU ALL BACK HOME.
HERES A SMALL TOPIC IV'E TAKEN FROM GOOGLE FOR ALL OF YOU TO READ.
CONSIDERED ONE OF THE WONDERS OF THE WORLD AND I'M SURE IT IS INDEED.
Hoover Dam
8 mi northeast from Boulder City via U.S. 93.
In 1928 Congress authorized $175 million for construction of a dam on the Colorado River to control destructive floods, supply a steady water supply to seven Colorado River Basin states, and generate electricity. Considered one of the seven wonders of the industrial world, the art deco Hoover Dam is 726 feet high and 660 feet thick at the base. Construction required 4.4 million cubic yards of concrete -- enough to build a two-lane highway from San Francisco to New York. Originally referred to as Boulder Dam, the structure was later officially named Hoover Dam in recognition of President Herbert Hoover's role in the project. Look for artist Oskar Hansen's plaza sculptures, which include the 30-foot-tall Winged Figures of the Republic. Many people walk right over Hansen's most intriguing work: the plaza's terrazzo floor, inlaid with a celestial map.
SO WE HEADED THEN BACK TO LAS VEGAS NO MORE TRAVEL FOR ME TODAY.
I THINK SON REALIZED I'D HAD ENOUGH WHEN THE HELICOPTOR RIDE CAME MY WAY LOL!!
I'LL CALL THIS RHYME THEN A DAY NOW MY FRIENDS OR I'LL BE HERE TILL END OF TIME.
BUT PLEASE CALL AGAIN FOR THE AMAZING " GRAND CANYON " NEXT TIME IN
"MY SIMPLE RHYME"
BYE FOR NOW FROM KATH ASTORIASAND
THANKYOU FOR CALLING BY
AND
20 comments:
Your son is just ful of surprises, isn't he? Wow! I wish someone would surprise me with a helicopter ride like that. The photos are great! --Cin
Haven't read it all yet Kath as just wanted tosay how wonderful those album photos are at the beginning. Who was hanging onto your legs while you took the ones looking down the face f the dam?!!! lol
love, Angie, xx
Well this is fascinating to me ~ the arial pictures are beyond words. It looks like a fantasy city, something unreal. I would have been terrified to be in the helicopter, you have alot of guts!! But then seeing the view makes it worth it. Stellar entry!!!!!! I cannot stop looking at the arial photo. LOVED IT!!!!!! :)
Lisa
Wow... Kath... you amaze me with being able to put this all to rhyme.... you are a genius... Thank you for sharing the pics and all, your son is quite a marvelous man to treat you too so much, and a helicopter tour too!
be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/
Loving it!!!!
Great entry.
Hugs,
Sugar
Oh Kath you have taken me to another place I cant imagine ever being able to see,its amazing, its vast ,its nothing like I imagined ,Of course I've heard about the Hoover Dam ,but couldnt visualise it ,your wonderful pictures certainly captured the vastness ,what a marvelous feat of engineering ,Wow ...love Jan xx
I've read it all now Kath. I couldn't have a better idea of what you thought and felt and saw if you'd carried me around in your head!! Looking forward to the next episode.
love, Angie, xx
OH WOW! It`s just breathtaking Kath, who would have thought a dam could be so beautiful....and so high up! :o)
Love Sandra xxxx
KATH,
THANKS FOR THE FINE PHOTOS. YOU HAVE DID A LOT OF WORK ON THIS.
DID ANYONE MENTION TO YOU THAT A FEW YEARS BACK A PROLONGED DROUTH HAD CAUSED THE WATER TO GET EXTREMELY LOW ?
PREDICTIONS BY 'EXPERTS' WAS THAT IT WOULD TAKE SEVERAL YEARS FOR THE LAKE TO GET BACK TO NORMAL.
AS SOMETIMES HAPPENS TO EXPOSE THE EXPERTS AND TO THE AMAZEMENT OF WEATHER PERSONS, RAINS CAME AND IN A FEW WEEKS THE LAKE WAS NEARING NORMAL.
KATH I AM HAPPY FOR YOU TO HAVE HAD AN ENJOYABLE VISIT HERE AND THANKS FOR THE SUPERB ENTRIES. sam
I enjoyed all the beautiful pictures. I bet you will never forget that heli... ride . I am amazed you took pictures too from on high, good for you.
Sandra
Oh my, you did see a lot and yet the Grand Canyon too??? My stomach did a flip as I thought of you in that helicopter for sure ! Just beautiful, I agree words cannot describe the beauty. It is totally awesome! I may never get a trip out west , but your pictures and descriptions are just wonderful. I love our Jland folks that share all the sights they see. Being born, raised and stayed pretty much in the same place all these years I haven't seen much of our USA. Thank you so much for taking the time to share. 'On Ya' - ma
You have a very thoughtful and oving son to have shown you such sights!!! I rode in a helicopter a couple of times in the mountians of North Carolina...I loved it! I have never been on a plane ride though!!! :-)
love ya,
carlene
What a great rhyming tour! Thanks!!
Russ
What a spectacular and wonderful experience Kath! Thanks so much for sharing this with us and taking us with you. Stunning pictures and so very well done!!! I truly enjoyed this!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
Wow! Beautiful pictures.
Debbie
xxx
Wow, what beautiful pics. Thank you for sharing. I'm glad you had an amazing time. I can't believe that it's 5,000 feet deep. That's scary! :)
Dina NY
Oh Kath! I loved the pictures! They are breath taking! :o) I'm so glad you were able to see the dam. :o)
Lisa
What an amazing blue, Kath.
I would have needed the helicoptor trip sprung on me too; but it must have been so worth it.
Bunny xx
I have just found your journal through reading others. What a fascinating place. I had no idea that area of US was so beautiful. I have never been to your country but I can see I can learn a lot from your journal. Maybe I will visit one day. I have a private journal and would love you to visit me. There are not many photos or graphics and you may find it boring but it is the saga of my life as a retired 63 year old ex-teacher with a large extended family!! I will send a link to you through email. Love Conniexx
I have made a boob! You must be visiting US you are not American! I have just read through some of the rest of your journal! Sorry for the mistake!! Love Conniexx
Post a Comment