Wednesday, 25 July 2007

" INSTEAD OF THE OUTSIDE LOO"

 
              
 
                   HAAAAAAAAAAAAA  !!!!
 
 
I WAS THINKING ABOUT A COMMENT ONE DAY WHAT A J/LANDER SENT TO ME.
 
I KNOW LOTS OF YOU ARE YOUNGER BUT YOU CAN JOIN IN MAYBE.
 
AS I DECIDED I'D WRITE HERE AND ASK HOW MANY WOULD SAY.
 
WHAT YOU CALLED THE RECEPTICLE IN OLDEN TIMES THAT WENT UNDER THE BED EACH DAY.
 
WHEN YOU WERE ONLY A YOUNG CHILD OR MAYBE REMEMBER YOUR GRAN.
 
OR GRANDAD USING ONE OF THESE PLEASE TELL ME IF YOU CAN.
 
THEY WERE USED SO MANY YEARS AGO WHEN OUR TOILETS WERE ALL OUTSIDE.
 
IT WAS ALRIGHT GOING THERE IN THE DAYTIME BUT NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT.
 
DID YOU ALL PLACE YOURS UNDER THE BED DURING THE DAY I WONDER.
 
AS THIS PERSON FROM J/LAND COMMENTED SHE CALLED HERS THE GUZUNDER.
 
WELL WHEN I READ THIS COMMENT I LET OUT A LAUGH SO LOUD.
 
ANYONE WOULD HAVE HEARD ME OVER A FOOTBALL CROWN HA-HA.
 
I'D NEVER HEARD THIS RECEPTACLE CALLED THIS BEFORE IN MY DAYS.
 
SO IT GOES TO SHOW AS WELL MY FRIENDS THAT WE USE DIFFERANT NAMES DOWN OUR WAYS.
 
I REMEMBER OURS WAS KEPT DOWN THE CELLAR WHEN IT WAS PUT AWAY.
 
AFTER MY MOTHER HAD BLEACHED IT ALL AND DISINFECTED IT EVERY  DAY.
 
WE USED TO TAKE TURNS IN EMPTYING IT AND I OFTEN USED TO CRY.
 
AND SAY TO MY MOTHER I'M NOT TAKING THAT AS SOMEBODY OUT THERE MIGHT SPY.
 
ME CARRYING THIS THING ACROSS THE YARD LIKE A TEAPOT OF FRESH BREWED TEA.
 
I ALWAYS FELT SO EMBARRASSED TO THINK SOMEONE WAS WATCHING ME.
 
YOU SEE WE HAD TWO BEDROOMS THEN SO AT NIGHTIME THEY ALL CAME OUT.
 
THREE OF THEM ALL PLACED UNDER THE BEDS FOR SIX TO SHARE LAUGH OUT LOUD.  HA-HA.
 
MY MOTHER AND FATHER THEY HAD ONE AND ME AND MY SISTERS THREE
 
IN CASE WE ALL HAD TO GET UP IN THE NIGHT THAT WAS A LOT OF  PEE. HA-HA.
 
SO EVERY MORNING MUM WOULD EMPTY ALL THESE INTO A  PAIL.
 
AND THE PAIL THEN WENT TO THE TOILET EVERY MORNING WITHOUT FAIL.
 
WE  CALLED OURS A JERRY BECAUSE OF THE SHAPE IT WAS.
 
WELL I THINK THATS WHY WE CALLED IT THAT THE REASON WAS BECAUSE.
 
IT WAS SHAPED LIKE THE JERRY HELMET WHICH WERE ALL WORN IN THE WAR.
 
AND IT WAS JENNY FORM "STOP THE CLOCK " WHO GOT ME THINKING ABOUT THIS AND MORE.
 
SHE REPLIED IN HER COMMENT TO ONE OF MY POSTINGS ABOUT THE OUTSIDE LOO.
 
I'D HAVE HAD TO USE THE GUZUNDA WELL I CRACKED UP I'M NOT KIDDING YOU.
 
NO MOTHERHEN DIDN'T LAY ANY EGGS BUT WHILST SAT AT MY POOTER THAT NIGHT.
 
WHEN I READ THIS I COULD HAVE DONE WITH A GAZUNDA UNDER MY POOTER
CHAIR RIGHT. HA-HA
 
AS YOU KNOW FULL WELL MY J/LAND FRIENDS WHEN YOU LAUGH VERY HEARTILY.
 
IT OFTEN MAKES US WANT TO RUN TO THE TOILET DON'T YOU SEE.
 
SO FROM OUTSIDE TOILETS TO JERRY POTS TOGUZUNDAS UNDER THE BED.
 
TELL ME WHAT YOU ALL CALLED YOURS AND IT MIGHT THEN CLEAR MY HEAD.
 
AS I AM A CURIOUS PERSON NOT NOSEY BUT CURIOUS YES .
 
AND I DON'T THINK IT'S A POOR SUBJECT TO ME IT'S ANOTHER LAUGH YET.
 
FLIPPING OUTSIDE TOILETS JUST COULDN'T WE TELL SOME TALES .
 
I BET WE WISH WE ALL HAD A  TENNER FOR EVERYTIME WE EMPTIED THEM PAILS.  HA-HA
 
WHAT A JOB IT WAS MY FRIENDS AND OUR JERRY BLEACHED CLEAN AND IN TIME.
 
WAS USED FOR OUR  MOTHERS ASPIDISTRA PLANT  AND I MUST SAY THEY  LOOKED  REAL FINE  HA-HA.
 
I BET A FEW OF YOU HAVE ONE AND I BET YOUV'E USED AT SOME TIME
 
A JERRY SO TELL ME  WHAT YOU CALLED  YOURS RIGHT NOW IN
 
                                      " MY SIMPLE RHYME.
 
                      
 

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm 37 and one of my best memories was staying with my nanny and grandad and having a pee on the pot under their bed!! I used to think it was wonderful. Joanne

Anonymous said...

That really does bring back some very old memories, If I remember correctly it was simply the 'chamber pot'.  Young people would find it hard to believe what was suffered having only the out house, which was never heated of course. Thanks for the smile this morning.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

Yes that place up the yard was daunting at night ,so if you had to go then you would have to take a candle which,would invariably get blown out ,oh scary ,so we used the 'Chamber Pot ' though my Dad did call it a guzunder ,and my Granny called it the Jerry ,the children used a potty lol different names for a very useful item ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

As a child when we'd visit my granddad there was one. He lived out in the country & had an outdoor toilet...so at night we used "a jar". A big old jar was what it was, every morn we'd have to empty it & mom would wash & bleach it & put it back under the bed.
Hugs for the memories.
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Hi ours toilet was not outside as we lived in a tennement or to be posh a flat so the toilet was on the stair.  My Grandparents lived in the one time Factors House and they had an inside loo. We called the chamber pot a Potty.  Love Joan.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jaymact1/JoansMusings/

Anonymous said...

lol...I loved this! :o) Yes....my grandparents called it a chamber pot. :o) I always love hearing their stories! :o) Thank you for sharing Kath! :o)
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness.  I couldnt imagine using something to go potty in at night.  Or going in an outhouse for that matter.  lol  Gosh I'm spoiled.  :)  xoxoxo Dina

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, thank you for sharing. I could only imagine. lol
Have a nice day Kath!
Nena

Anonymous said...

Chamber pot...but I do like "gazunder" better. Hahaa. --Cin

Anonymous said...

Lucky for me I never had to use the outdoor toilet - I can't imagine that.  My mom did though until they got indoor plumbing when she was in her early teens.  Boy how have things changed!
Fun entry, thanks!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

We called it a po (just had a silly thought:  Del Boy would have called it an `Edgar Allan' !).
I remember the horrid little bedside cupboards, which housed these things.  Sometimes they retained a certain odour !!
Bunny x

Anonymous said...

Thankfully we had a loo indoors but it was when i went to my Nan's in the country the loo was down the garden and under every bed was a pot which she faithfully emptied everyday.
For those who don't know, the reason it is called a guzunder is because.....wait for it...
it 'goes under' the bed.
Jenny <><

Anonymous said...

LOL... wow... I am kind of glad I am too young to remember those!  hee hee

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Lol love the guzunder name. When I was little my Potty as my mum called it was known as po and my niece called hers poopo.
Debbie
xxx

Anonymous said...

We called ours the "pee pot" lol lol...
love ya,
carlene

Anonymous said...

Kath this Rhyme is Brilliantly funny ~ and you couldn't have picked a nicer subject :o) ~ When I was in hospital friends of mine got hold of a guzsunda painted all pretty flowers round the outside and I big EYE at the bottom inside and brought it to the hospital for me ~ this caused a laugh I can tell you ~ Ally x


 


Anonymous said...

Ours was called `the po` too...lol!

Love Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

When we were kids it was the po-po.    Then it became the po.  A chinese take-away near us caused much hilarity and even got on That's Life being called the Tin Po.
Angie, xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/faveanti/canyouallhearmeattheback/

Anonymous said...

Who would think a bed pan would make such a lively subject. Loved this post hon!
(Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

lol funny stuff. I love your rhymes.

Anonymous said...

I was born in a house with a bathroom...thank god!!  I've heard what you're talking about called a "slop jar" here in the states.  

XX
Russ

Anonymous said...

Our was called a "Po" with a long o.  It was made of white enameled tin.  Horrible now when I think of it.  My, we HAVE come a long way!  Thank goodness!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I had an indoor bathroom always but my mother had the old outhouse.  I'll have to ask her if they had a name for the bedpans.  LOL....this is too funny.  I never even thought of it before but it sure wouldn't be fun to run outside in the dark.  Love xx Chris