Monday, 23 July 2007

" I LOVED MY BUBBLE COSTUME "

 
         
 
 
 
I WAS LOOKING THROUGH SOME PHOTO'S ONE NIGHT WITH SOME OF MY OLD FRIENDS.
 
SUPRIZED TO SEE HOW SOME FASHIONS HAVE COME BACK AND SOME OF THE OTHER TRENDS.
 
I CAME ACROSS THIS  PHOTOGRAPH  J/LAND WHEN I WAS ABOUT  AGED SIX..
 
MY COUSINS CAME OVER FROM KENT ON A HOLIDAY WHICH MY FATHER  HAD FIXED.  HA-HA.
 
I REMEMBER MY MOTHER BOUGHT ME THIS SWIMMING COSTUME HERE.
 
I THOUGHT THAT IT WAS SO  WONDERFUL AND I SUPPOSE IT WAS QUITE  DEAR.
 
WHEN IN THEM DAYS MONEY WAS TIGHT AND LOTS OF OTHER THINGS THEY CAME FIRST.
 
I KNOW WITH HAVING A FAMILY OF FOUR SHE HAD TO WATCH HER PURSE.
 
IT SEEMS  SO STRANGE SOMEHOW THAT THIS PHOTO I'M SHOWING YOU HERE.
 
IS THE VIEW FROM MY WINDOW  WHERE I LIVE NOW AS  I LOOK ONTO THE SEA AND THE PIER.
 
WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT AFTER FIFTY FIVE YEARS I'DBE LIVING IN THIS PLACE.
 
STROLLING ALONG THE BEACH NOW NOT SWIMMING WITH A GRINNING FACE .HA-HA
 
THE COSTUME IT WAS A MULTI COLOUR AND WHEN I WENT FOR A SWIM.
 
IT USED TO BLOW UP LIKE A BALLOON I LOOKED LIKE LIKE MR MICHELIN.   HA-HA.
 
CAN YOU REMEMBER WHICH I MEAN I THINK THERES SOME  OUT NOW.
 
THEY WERE STITCHED IN SQUARES WITH SHEERING ELASTIC AND EACH SQUARE FORMED A BUBBLE SOMEHOW..
 
THIS PARTICULAR PHOTO AS THE YEARS THEY DID PASS BY.
 
MY SISTERS GAVE IT A TITLE TO IT YOU WILL PROBABLY REALISE  WHY.
 
" THE SWIMMER OF THE FIFTIES  "  THEY CALLED IT HE- HE-HE .
 
 
 
I THINK IT WAS SO APPROPRIATE AS THAT WAS ALWAYS ME.
 
EITHER RUNNING AROUND AND JUMPING ABOUT IN AND OUT OF THE SEA.
 
MY MOTHER USED TO TELL ME SHE NEVER KNEW SHE HAD ME.
 
I LOVED THE SEA AND THE OCEAN  IT GAVE ME SUCH A THRILL.
 
MY FATHER ALWAYS USED TO SAY  OUR KATH IS NEVER STILL.  HA-HA
 
ALL MY OLD OLD PHOTO'S ARE FUNNY AS I LOOK I THINK WAS I RIGHT.
 
IN MY HEAD LOOK AT THE STATE OF ME DON'T I LOOK A  SIGHT  HA-HA.
 
I USED TO WEAR RUBBER SHOES AS WELL AND IV'E NOTICED THAT THEY HAVE COME BACK.
 
HAVE YOU SEEN  THEM ALL BACK IN FASHION ALL COLOURS ON THE SHOE RACK.
 
JELLY BEANS I THINK THERE CALLED  NOW WELL IV'E JUST BOUGHT A FEW PAIR.
 
BUT I DON'T THINK I'LL GET A BUBBLE COSTUME TO FIT ME NOW OUT THERE,  HA-HA.
 
OH AND LOOK AT MY COUSINS CAP LOL!  I MUSTN'T FORGET ABOUT THAT.
 
THEY MADE YOUR HEAD LOOK LIKE AN EGG BUT  WE HAD TO WEAR SWIMMING CAPS. HA-HA.
 
DO YOU REMEMBER THE SIMILAR  ONES WITH A STRAP THAT WENT UNDER THE CHIN.
 
AND A LITTLE BUCKLE AT THE SIDE THAT FASTENED IT ALWAYS DUG IN.  HA-HA.
 
                         
 
 
WELL I HAD ONE TOO AND I HATED THEM BUT I WAS MADE TO PUT IT ON.
 
I FELT A RIGHT LITTLE CHARLEY IN IT RUNNING ALONG THE PROM. HA-HA.
 
ALL TODAYS  FASHIONABLE DRESSES NOW HAVE THE BUBBLE SHEAR AT THE TOP .
 
BUT I DON'T THINK THERE HALF AS PRETTY AS MY COSSY WHICH MY MOTHER  GOT  HA-HA.
 
OH IT'S A GOOD JOB I CAN LAUGH NOW  AS EVERYTHING TODAY  SEEMS BAD.
 
AND AT TIMES IT GETS ME FEELING DOWN AND MAKES ME  FEEL OH SO SAD.
 
I LOVE TO LOOK BACK AT OLD PHOTO'S SOMETIMES THEY CHEER ME NO END..
 
AND WE HAVE A GOOD LAUGH AT THEM ALL AND A NATTER ME AND MY DEAR OLD FRIENDS. HA-HA.
 
I HOPE I HAVE JOGGED YOUR MEMORIES AGAIN OF THE COSTUMES OF BYGONE DAYS.
 
A LITTLE MORE COVERED UP WE WERE TOO AT THE BEACH  IN OUR SCHOOLDAYS.
 
NOT WALKING ABOUT HALF NAKED AND SHOWING ALL WE HAD.
 
NO I'M NOT AN OLD FASHIONED BIDDY BUT I THINK SOME FASHIONS ARE BAD.
 
WELL ANYWAY I JUST THOUGHT I'D SHOW YOU WHAT AN EGG HEAD  I WAS WHEN A KID. HA-HA
 
AND MENTION SOME OF THE FASHIONS AND SOME OF THE THINGS I DID.
 
I  LOVED MY BUBBLE COSTUME AND MY MOP CAP AT THAT TIME
 
 
 
AND I HOPE I HAVE JOGGED YOUR MEMORIES AGAIN HERE IN        "MY SIMPLE RHYME"
 
 
                              HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
               
                   

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kath, I did enjoy going back in time with you in your little rhyme today!  but then I enjoy them every  time!  I can remember well having to wear a bathing cap when we went swimming.  I hated it so much!  It always used to pull my hair when I took it off and that hurt!  I can't remember ever wearing a bubble suit, but I do remember my first bikini and how pretty I felt in it.  It had a lovely ruffly skirt and was all pink and blue flowers.  I bet I'd look quite something in it now!  UGH!!!  I got a bathing suit last winter so that I can go in swimming again, but now have to find a swimming baths place to go!  Thanks for the lovely trip down memory lane, you always do it in such a wonderful way!
Love,
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

Kath I did so enjoy your trip down memory lane ~ Love the photographs and I remember those swimming caps ~ we wouldn't be allowed to swim if we didn't have one of those ~ I can remember how painful they were having to pile all my hair inside and how it hurt when taking it off ~ lovely memories thanks jogging mine ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

I have seen pics of my older sisters wearing the same cossie and my mum saved them for me to wear in the late 60's early 70's lol but mine was red. Also had loads of the tops and dresses they are selling now in the 70's, in fact there may be one still in the loft lol.
Debbie
xxx

Anonymous said...

You have brought back some memories and smiles for me this morning.  Yes I used to wear something very similiar.  How great that you now live with the beach so near by.  Hope your day is a great one !  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

Yes ,Yes , yes ,lol ,I remember them well ,oh Kath only you could resurect that memory lol ,my sister and I had one ,,you look lovely in yours ,we were told we had to wear the bathing caps at the pool cos our hair would block up the filters ,in the pool hee hee ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Great memories, loved the pics!!!
Hugs,
Sugar

Anonymous said...

I like seeing those photos!  And, your mother's bathing suit!  Almost stylish today even (for those of us who can't wear bikini's yikes).

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures! :)
I was not even CLOSE to being around then. lol
I am sure those were some good times. :)
Hope all is well and have a good day.
Nena

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures. Have a great day.
Cindy

Anonymous said...

OMG look at the bathing suits from back then...I LOVE IT! I love old stuff like that.

Anonymous said...

These photographs are wonderful. I think you bubble suit looks quite nice on you, too. --Cin

Anonymous said...

I love old pictures! :o) I remember having a suit similair to what you've described! :o) I was so shy...lol...I would hide! :o) Silly now thinking back on that..lol :o) Thank you for sharing your pictures...I love them! :o) And your suit! :o)
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I loved those pictures...You are so cute!
The suits now days show to much and hide too little! lol
love ya,
carlene

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy looking at the vintage swim suit attire!!!  I love your bubble!  LOL

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I had one of those bubble costumes too Kath.  I never used to like paddling in the s3ea though as I hated the feel of seaweed on my feet (we didn't hae Jelly's)
Angie, xx

Anonymous said...

Modest swimwear on kids?  I wish that trend would come back!

Russ

Anonymous said...

Yes I had a bubble costume too it was blue and if you pulled it out on your tum then let go it used to balloon up full of air.  Love Joan.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jaymact1/JoansMusings/

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures, I just love seeing old photographs.  I never had to wear the cap but I did have to use earplugs.  I know what you are talking about with the suit blowing up - I don't know if I had one but I can vividly picture what you are saying, so maybe I did?
Lisa

Anonymous said...

You looked adorable, Kath!  I remember the swimming caps well.  We al had to wear them.  And my girls had those Jelly Shoes in all colors when they were small.  I see they are out once again.  Amazing that you are living and looking out the window right now at the same exact spot you stood and folicked all those years ago.  I love the ocean and would love to see it out of my window daily.  Not going to happen for a good while, it seems, but maybe one day I will.  Love xx Chris