Wednesday, 9 May 2007

"DO YOU FANCY DOING A BOOT SALE"

       
 
DO YOU FANCY DOING A BOOT SALE MY SISTER ASKED ME ONE DAY.
 
GOING BACK MANY YEARS AGO SO I ANSWERED YES OK!!
 
SO WE SET ABOUT GATHERING MANY WARES FROM ALL OUR CUBOARDS AND DRAWERS.
 
THE KIDS WARDROBES AND THE SPARE ROOM AND OTHER PLACES AND MORE.
 
I HAD NO INTENTION OF HAGGLING WITH PEOPLE ASKING ME HOW MUCH IS THAT .
 
SO I PRICED EVERYTHING BEFOREHAND THEN I WOULDN'T HAVE TO CHAT.
 
IF PEOPLE JUST BROWSED AND SAW THE PRICE EASIER FOR ME I THOUGHT.
 
I COULD SIT IN THE SUN AND LEAVE IT TO THEM HOPING ALL WOULD BE BOUGHT.
 
WHEN I'D GATHERED UP THINGS I DIDN'T REALY WANT I FELT QUITE NERVOUS AS WELL.
 
NOT KNOWING WHAT I WAS IN FOR AND MY SISTER I BET SHE COULD TELL.
 
NEXT MORNING VERY EARLY SHE ARRIVED IN THE CAR FOR ME.
 
WE STACKED MY BOXES NEXT TO HERS WHICH WERE LABELLED SO WE COULD SEE.
 
WHICH ONES BELONGED TO THE TWO OF US ON ARRIVAL AT THE GROUND.
 
EVERYTHING IN THE CAR PACKED TIGHT AND THE NEIGHBOURS ASLEEP NOT A SOUND.
 
WE ALWAYS HAD A REALY GOOD LAUGH TOGETHER WHEN GOING OUR WAY.
 
SHE KEPT LAUGHING OUT REALY LOUD SAYING WER'E LIKE THE HILLBILLY'S TODAY. (HA)
 
THE CAR WAS CHUGGING AND RATTLING WITH THINGS AND ALL THE WEIGHT I THINK.
 
I WAS IN FITS OF LAUGHTER WHEN SHE SAID HOPE THE CAR BOTTOM DON'T SINK. (HA).
 
WE PUT ON OUR VESTS AND SHORTS THAT DAY TOOK OUR CHAIRS IT WAS SUNNY NOT COLD.
 
SO WE COULD SIT IN THE SUN WHILST ALL OF OUR GOODS WERE SOLD.
 
ALL THESE THINGS WE HAD FOR SALE WHEN I LOOKED INTO THE BACK.
 
AND ON TOP OF THE CAR THERE ALSO SHE HAD FASTENED A LARGE ROOF RACK (HA).
 
TWO LOVELY PUSHCHAIRS WE HAD UP THERE DISCARDED FROM OUR KIDS.
 
WHICH WE DIDN'T USE ANY MORE AT THIS TIME SO WE PRICED THEM EACH AT TWO QUID.
 
QUICK SALE SMALL PROFIT I TOLD HER I WASN'T TAKING ANYTHING HOME.
 
MY INTENTIONS WERE TO SELL THE LOT CHEAP NOT TO RE-PACK THEM AND MOAN.
 
I HAD NEVER BEEN TO A BOOT SALE SO I  DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT.
 
WELL WE PULLED UP IN THE FIELD THAT DAY AND GOOD GRIEF WHAT HAPPENED NEXT.
 
SHE OPENED THE CAR BOOT SO WE COULD START TO FIX UP OUR TWO STALLS.
 
WHEN A LOAD OF MEN AND WOMEN CAME RUNNING FROM OUT OF THE BLUE LARGE AND SMALL.
 
THEY WERE LIKE A HERD OF CATTLE POUNDING TOWARDS US SO FAST.
 
MY SISTER SAID TO ME KATH WATCH OUT THIS IS THE WORST PART LASS.
 
I HAD LIFTED A COUPLE OF BOXES OUT AND BEFORE I KNEW WHERE I WAS.
 
THEY WERE PUSHING AND SHOVING ONE ANOTHER WELL I WAS AT A LOSS.
 
FOR WORDS AS THERE HANDS STARTED SEARCHING  IN THESE BOXES THERE SO QUICK.
 
MY SISTER SHOUTED DO YOU MIND WAITING YOUR LIKE ANIMALS YOU  MAKE ME SICK. (HA).
 
IT WAS LIKE A FLIPPING BATTLE GROUND THEY WERE LOOKING AT EVERYTHING..
 
I STOOD THERE I WAS GOBSMACKED AND ONTO MY HANDBAG DID CLING.
 
A MAN WALKED BY AS IT HAPPENED AND HE SHOUTED OUT QUITE LOUD.
 
OVER HERE GUYS AND BEFORE WE KNEW IT ANOTHER FLIPPING CROWD (HA).
 
WELL AT THIS MY SISTER WAS LIVID AND I TELL YOU SHE'S NO QUIET  GAL.
 
SHE CARRIED ON BACK SHOUTING AT THEM GET OUT OF THE WAY PLEASE PAL.
 
YOUR BUYING NOTHING TILL WEV'E SET UP STALL SO WILL YOU ALL GO AWAY.
 
OR I'M SELLING YOU NOTHING FROM OUR STALL TO ANY OF YOU LOT TODAY.
 
SHE HAD BEEN WARNED ABOUT THEM BEFOREHAND BUT DIDN'T WANT TO TELL ME.
 
AS SHE KNEW I WOULDN'T GO WITH HER SO THATS WHY I DIDN'T KNOW SEE.
 
THEY WERE DEALERS WHO HAGGLE TO BUY THINGS BEFORE THE BOOT SALE STARTS.
 
THEN THEY TAKE THEM TO THERE OWN SHOPS AND SELL AT A PROFIT ( UPSTARTS)  (HA).
 
WELL HER THREAT IT WORKED WE WERE HAPPY THEY ALL DISSAPEARED FROM SIGHT.
 
WE SET UP TWO STALLS NO PROBLEM AND WAITED FOR BUYERS SAT TIGHT .
 
I COULDN'T BELIEVE WHAT OTHERS WERE SELLING TO ME IT WAS SUCH A SUPRIZE.
 
EVEN DOWN TO USED LIPSTICKS AND THINGS ALSORTS AFORE MY EYES.
 
MY TABLE WAS QUICKLY EMPTIED MY HANDBAG WAS FEELING SOUND  (HA).
 
GETTING HEAVIER  WITH COINS AND NOTES  AND WHEN I LOOKED AROUND .
 
I'D SOLD COMPLETELY EVERYTHING THEN A VOICE CHIMED UP HELLO!!.
 
HOW MUCH FOR THE PATCHWORK THROW  YOU HAVE THERE ON THE STALL ON SHOW.
 
OH! THATS NOT FOR SALE I TOLD HIM IT WAS THERE JUST TO COVER THE STALL.
 
THATS ONE OF MY BIRTHDAY GIFTS  I CANNOT SELL THAT AT ALL.
 
THIS WAS A THROW  MY AUNT MADE BACK IN THEM DAYS OF OLD.
 
I BEGAN TO EXPLAIN TO HIM WHILST I SAT TO ME IT WAS WORTH MORE THAN GOLD.
 
IT WAS MY PRIDE AND JOY AT THIS TIME AND I WOULD NEVER PART WITH THAT.
 
WHEN A GUY CAME OVER AND TOOK OUT HIS WALLET IT WAS BURSTING WITH NOTES SO FAT.
 
HE OFFERED ME FIFTY POUND FOR THE THROW  I SAID NO WAY IV'E TOLD YOU.
 
IT'S NOT FOR SALE IT'S MY BIRTHDAY GIFT BUT HE WOULDN'T MOVE IT'S TRUE.
 
HE HANDED ME AN ADDRESS AND SAID IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND WRITE TO ME.
 
THE ADDRESS WAS OF SOMEWHERE IN BLACKPOOL ANOTHER PLACE BY THE SEA.
 
MY SISTER SAID OH! SELL HIM IT KATH I REPLIED NO IT'S SO DEAR TO ME.
 
MY AUNT HAD MADE THIS SINGLE THROW IN 1958 YOU SEE.
 
SO TO ME IT WAS SOMETHING SPECIAL SHE HAD GIVEN IT TO ME ONE YEAR.
 
THIS PATCHWORK THROW FOR MY BIRTHDAY AS SHE KNEW THAT I LOVED IT SO DEAR.
 
IT'S MADE FROM PATCHES OF FLORAL LINEN AND I JUST LOVE THE DESIGNS.
 
I AM SURE TODAY YOU CARN'T FIND LINEN AS PRETTY AND STRONG OF THIS KIND.
 
I LOVE IT FOR MY SPARE ROOM IT TIES IN WITH ANY  DECOR YOU DO.
 
AND SHE MADE ME SOME CURTAINS OUT OF THE SAME IN PATCHES THAT MATCH IT TOO.
 
SHE MADE THE REVERSE OF THEM BOTH  PLAIN  CREAM  LINEN AND THEY  ALWAYS LOOKS SO NICE.
 
SO I WASN'T SELLING THEM TO THIS MAN NO WAY AT ANY PRICE.
 
AND NOW WHEN I THINK BACK I'M GLAD AS THERE BOTH LOOKING GOOD AS NEW.
 
AND FORTY NINE YEARS LATER  THERES  NOT A STITCH LOOSE I TELL YOU.
 
WITH THAT WE PACKED OUR DECK CHAIRS UP AND OFF DOWN THE LANE DID ROAR.
 
I KNEW IN MY MIND THAT I'D NEVER GO SELLING AT  A BOOT SALE ANYMORE.
 
WELL WHEN WE GOT HOME WE COUNTED UP AND WE COULDN'T BELIEVE THE AMOUNT.
 
ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY  SOME  POUND WE HAD MADE WHEN WE HAD FINISHED COUNT.
 
ALL THE BITS AND PIECES NONE OF THEM DID WE NEED.
 
QUICK SALE SMALL PROFIT PROVED FRUITFULL THERE WAS NO NEED FOR ANY GREED.
 
THAT WAS A LOT OF MONEY TO US GOING BACK TO THAT TIME.
 
SO WE HAD AN ENJOYABLE HOLIDAY WITH IT  AND I'LL NOW END  
" MY SIMPLE RHYME.
 
                                            
         
 
 
       IV'E NEVER DONE A BOOT SALE SINCE LOL!!
 
          KATH  ASTORIASAND.
 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo!  Maybe today I can get the first comment in!  Over in Canada we have yard sales... premise as a car boot sale but at the end of your driveway.  You can spend a whole Saturday driving around to all the different sales and pick up some really nice things!  We had one once and my kids really enjoyed manning the table and "playing" store.  It's a real fun way to meet some new and interesting folk and to get rid of some things you don't want or need anymore.  I have never been to a boot sale though!  They are usually on Sundays here where I live and I am always in church!  Once again, I am amazed at your rhyming talents Kath!  Enjoy the rest of your day!
love,
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

Oh my! :o) I've never heard of a boot sale! It sounds alot like a small 'flea market' ....is what they are called around here! lol Sounds like they sell fleas! lol :o) Glad you held strong with your throw! You go girl! :o)
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun time. I wouldn't sell the quilt either!! Ummm...used lipstick? GACK! --Cin

Anonymous said...

Boot sale? Never hear that before, we have flea markets here, sounds similar. :) And a car boot must be what we call a car trunk?
People can go wild at these things sometimes! LOL Glad you still have your lovely throw.
Huggies,
Sugar

Anonymous said...

I did a car boot sale once with my daughter ,we were selling of the childrens out grown clothes and toys ,she was pleased with what we made ,I havet been to one in years ,and yes the dealers do swoop  before you have a chance to set up , great entry ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I've never done a car boat Kath but it sounded great to me ~ I think I will gather my old clothes and bits and bobs and Join my Granson Tom who is doing one next Wednesday ~ I do love walking round them and looking at all the different things people put on their stalls ~ they say one Mans rubbish is another Mans gold ~ Loved your rhyme ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

I di car booting for the first time in December and love it.....only problem is that just lately the local one clashes with other things!!! Looking forward to doing another soon!!!

Anonymous said...

At least you sold it all and didn't have to cart it home again and had some nice cash for your hard work.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

Well done getting rid of the vultures that strike at dawn lol. I love car boot sales but have never found a car boot that fits lol, sorry in a really silly mood.
Being serious though the patchwork sounds lovely any chance of seeing a pic of it?
Debbie
xxx

Anonymous said...

Well done Kath for selling everything you had for sale. I`ve been saying for over 20yrs that I`ll do a Boot Sale but I never get round to it. :o(  Well done also to your sister for chasing off those dealers, talk about intimidation! :o)

Love Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

I learned something (in verse) -- because I've never heard the term " boot sale" before.  Now I know.

Russ

Anonymous said...

What a great day you had and earning into the bargain. Love Joan.

Anonymous said...

Phew!  Just like being there, Kath.  Feel worn out........Bunny x

Anonymous said...

In the states, we have yard sales or garage sales at our homes.  In our old neighborhood, we would have a yard sale for the whole block.  It was supposed to start at 9 but people would actually circle the block the night before to see if we were setting things up.  They always arrived as soon as the sun started to rise.  It annoyed me but after the first year, I started selling the stuff as soon as they arrived.  They were always trying to buy things that were in the garage and not even for sale.  I quit doing it because I got tired of the haggling.  It did amaze me that my used perfume and make-up always went first because I would have never bought someone else's lipstick.  Quite an eye opener.  Now, I just donate my junk or sometimes just put it out to the curb on trash night and let people go at it.  Love xx Chris

Anonymous said...

Oh Kath, it's definitely the way you tell 'em!  I love your rhymes.   They set me up for the day they do (even though it's a bit late and in the wrong day that I'm catchng up on this one).  I've answered your tag by the way.....
Love Angie, x
http://journals.aol.co.uk/faveanti/canyouallhearmeattheback/