Friday, 11 January 2008

"MORE OLD THINGS"

 
 
           
                           
 
HELLO AGAIN  EVERYBODY I HOPE YOUR ALL FEELING WELL.
 
ANOTHER RHYME ANOTHER POSTING ANOTHER STORY TO TELL.
 
OF MORE OLD THINGS I FOUND AGAIN WHEN SORTING MY  DRAWERS THIS WEEK.
 
I HOPE I DO NOT BORE YOU ALL AND YOU TURN THE OTHER CHEEK.
 
AS I SORTED THINGS I CAME ACROSS THIS DELICATE NIGHTDRESS CASE.
 
IT'S MADE OF VERY FINE LINEN LIGHT CREAM  EDGED WITH PRETTY LACE.
 
       
 
I MADE IT ONCE WHEN I WAS CARRYING FIRST BABY LONG AGO.
 
WHEN I USED TO SPEND MANY HOURS SAT AS I JUST LOVED TO SEW..
 
I LOVE OLD THINGS NO MATTER WHAT BUT I CANNOT  SAVE TOO MUCH.
 
AS I HAVN'T THE ROOM NOW TO STORE THEM ALL IN MY LITTLE FLAT AS SUCH.
 
WELL THIS I ADORED AND  I USED TO KEEP MY BABY THINGS IN IT YOU SEE.
 
AND I ALSO FOUND A FEW LITTLE MORE TREASURES THAT ONCE WERE GIVEN TO ME.
 
THIS IS MY AUNTIES NEEDLE CASE AND THIMBLE  WITH NEEDLES SO FINE.
 
MADE OUT OF SILVER BOTH OF THEM AND THE NEEDLES MUCH FINER THAN MINE..
 
      
 
 
THE EYES ON THEM ARE SO TINY THERES NO WAY AT ALL I'D  THREAD THEM.
 
AND INSIDE THE NIGHTDRESS CASE EMBROIDERED MY  SIGNATURE ON THE HEM.
 
WELL WHEN I OPENED THE NIGHTDRESS CASE INSIDE WAS THIS BELOW.
 
MY FIRST BORN SONS LITTLE  NIGHTDRESS HE WORE ALL THOSE YEARS AGO.
 
                
 
AND WHEN I SAW IT INSIDE THE CASE IT BROUGHT TO MY EYES SOME  TEARS.
 
THINKING HOW I USED TO NURSE HIM AND ROCK HIM TO SLEEP YESTERYEARS.
 
HOW EVER DID WE GET THERE ARMS IN  WERN'T THEY JUST EVER SO SMALL.
 
NO BABYGRO'S IN THEM YEARS JUST THESE NIGHTDRESSES THAT WAS ALL.
 
BOY OR GIRL IT JUST DIDN'T MATTER BOTH SEXES WORE THESE AT THE TIME.
 
MADE OUT OF LOVELY COTTON AND WITH BOILING IT HAS WORN IT FINE.
 
I REMEMBER WHEN HE GREW OUT OF IT AND I WAS IN MY FIRST HOME .
 
I DECIDED TO SAVE IT ALONG WITH HIS TINY WOODEN HAIRBRUSH AND COMB.
 
I HAVN'T COME ACROSS THEM  YET BUT I KNOW  THEY ARE SOMEWHERE HERE.
 
AND I TREASURE THEM AS THE MEMORIES THEY BRING ARE PRECIOUS AND OH SO DEAR.
 
WELL HERE IS A PICTURE OF MY  SON WHEN  HE WAS ABOUT EIGHT MONTHS OLD.
 
AND HE WAS THE MOST WELL BEHAVED BABY ANYONE COULD EVER HOLD.
 
                                  
          
 
NOT A MINUTES BOTHER FROM BEING BORN HE PLAYED HOURS AT A TIME.
 
WHILE I DID MY HOUSEWORK AND IN THEM DAYS YES I STILL WROTE " MY SIMPLE RHYME".
 
AT THAT TIME I DID THEM FOR CHILDREN I HAVE THEM ALL HERE IN A FILE.
 
CIRCUS ONES AND SEASIDE ONES AND PLAYING COWBOY AND INDIANS THAT STYLE.
 
MY GRANDCHILDREN NOW  AS THEY HAVE BEEN  GROWING USED TO SIT CONTENT AS I READ.
 
ALL THESE SIMPLE RYHMES I HAD WRITTEN AND THOUGHT OF IN MY HEAD.
 
I HAVE WROTE SOME FOR SISTERS AND FRIENDS AND THEY HAVE LOVED THEM ALL TOO.
 
STRANGE I HAVE ENDED UP WRITING THEM ON THE INTERNET FOR ALL OF YOU.
 
WELL AS I SAID MY ELDEST AND FIRST BORN HE WAS AS GOOD AS GOLD.
 
AND HERE HE IS ON ANOTHER PIC  FROM MY ARCHIVES IN HIS CAR OF OLD.
 
               
                      
 
HE -HE IT'S LOVELY WHEN YOU COME ACROSS THESE MEMORIES OF WAY BACK IN TIME .
 
HE'S FORTY THIS YEAR SO A FEW MORE RELICS HERE IN   " MY SIMPLE RHYME ".
 
         
 
                            
 Thankyou to Sugar for this lovely bracelet tag she made for me .      
          
 

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh what wonderful pics! And so nice that you have these valuble treasures of memories.
Kath, you need to write a Book Of Rhymes. You really do...get them all together & get to work! You have so much talent. Please consider it, if you haven't already. It'd be good for you & wonderful for others to read.
Hugs,
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Memories like those are so special and I know that your family must treasure all those rhymes you wrote for them.  You have a gift with words and I'm so glad you share them with us as well.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

Kath, you've found some absolutely gorgeous things that you made.  I was never very good at hand sewing.  I had a lot of lovely things my grandmother made but they got left at my old house when I moved.  God only knows what my ex or his wife did with them.  I'm kicking myself for leaving that stuff.  Love the old pictures.  Love xx Chris

Anonymous said...

I am sure your son will treasure those relics too!  How wonderful! I love it all and I am so happy that you are sharing!!!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

You are finding all kinds of treasures...I had not heard of a nightdress case before.  It looks like you did a lovely job making it.  The pictures of your son are just adorable, I bet he will treasure these items as much as you do.  I think these entries are great, they are far from boring!!!!  I am learning from each one.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Very nice entry as usual. Wishing you a wonderful week. :-)  Janie

Anonymous said...

Oh the little dress is adorable and you did a beautiful job on the nightdress case!!! WIsh I could sew like that!
Your " little boy " was so beautiful!!!
Take care and God bless,
love ya,
carlene

Anonymous said...

Oh Kath, what treasures you have!  I Love the lingerie case.  My boss has those and I pack them for her when she goes away.  Her's are not near as nice as this lovely one of yours though.  What a talented seamstress you were.  I Love your son's nightdress as well.  What beautiful work you did!  I have enjoyed the pictures of your son as well!  Dare I say you don't look old enough to have a son of 40?  But then again my oldest son will be 33 this year.  I like to think I don't look old enough to have a son that age either! haha  Thanks for your very special thoughts that you share with us in your wonderful rhymes.  I am so glad you have continued to write.  You bless my life with your wonderful words more than I can say.
Have a great weekend!
love,
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

What wonderful fine things you have there.  The pictures are precious and the nightdress and case are priceless.  The young mothers of this time are missing so much.  They are much too rushed to enjoy the finery that you did.

Anonymous said...

Now this is the reasonn ,you CANNOT close down this journal ,Your nightdress case is so lovely ,clever you We used to have these sitting on our bed in the daytime ,didnt we ?with our nightys in ,and my Mum had a handchercheif sachet  too !!,and I am so pleased you kept the baby nightdress ,it brought so many memories back ,lovely entry Kath ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Lovely entry Kath, you had me shedding a few tears as well!! I have the Christening gown my Grest Grandmother wore and Angela wore it when she was christened and yes they did have really small arms in the gowns of those clothes from bygone era's.........fortunately Angela was only a small baby so it fitted her!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, as well as being handy with words I think you are handy with a needle too. Love Joan.

Anonymous said...

Loved the night dress case and all the little odds and ends. Thanks for inviting me along the walk back down memory lane with you dear friend. Our kids grow up so very quickly don't they? (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Another walk down 'Memory lane'....I kept my youngest Son's Christening Bonnet,Ribbon and shoes for years...regrettably I have moved House a lot,so eventually lost in time. :>(

Anonymous said...

Hello. It's my first time here. You are so talented! Beautiful pictures. Lovely entry. Love Pam xx

Anonymous said...

These are pretty.  
Thank you for stopping by my journal.  I hope you're having a nice weekend.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Kath the things you made are lovely ~ what happy memories they must bring back for you ~ and I enjoyed reading you memories of yesteryear ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

what a lovely entry this is ,all those nice things you made ,I am sure they bring back some wonderful memories .I made my  wedding dress into a christning gown for my grandaughters  and it turned out well .Your pictures and rhymes are so clever ...love Jeanx

Anonymous said...

this was wonderful. thank you for all your encouraging comments. I really enjoy reading your writing....beautiful and very touching.
~kelly

Anonymous said...

We are just in the middle of going through my mothers drawers, what do you throw and what do you keep?  It seems that as we empty her house mine and my sister's fills up.
Jenny <><

Anonymous said...

{{{{ Kath }}}} These are precious! I so love those kinds of momentos, especially photos that always capture something the photographer had no idea at the time was being captured. (I confess I did wonder at first what you were posting about when you started talking about sorting your drawers. 0:-) )

Ben

Anonymous said...

 THANKS FOR THO PHOTOS KATH. IS THAT THE SON THAT LIVES IN TEXAS ?
      IT IS GOOD TO HAVE SAVED THE RHYMES WRITTEN LONG AGO.
 WHEN YOUNG I SAVED SOME SCHOOL THINGS AND AS THE YEARS PASSED JUST SORT OF LOST THINGS DURING THE MANY MOVES.
    A COUPLE OF HATS FROM THE 1930sOR 40s, NICE ONES TOO WERE AMONG A COLLECTION OF MARY JANE'S DAD. WE GAVE SEVERAL TO THE GRAND CHILDREN YEARS AGO.
    WHEN I WEAR THE ANTIQUE HATS ALWAYS HAVE THE QUESTION, WHERE DID YOU GET THAT HAT ?     sam

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! You have such wonderful keepsakes. I have a few of my own. My grandmothers darning spindal. A knife set out of buffalo horn and lots of memboralia from my mothers rollerskating days. You are sentimental my dear ;)
Carol

Anonymous said...

We all love your rhymes too lol I had a little car like that when I was small it was red.
Debbie
xxxx

Anonymous said...

OMGG @ your son wore a dress? LOL... So he lives in Texas; does he?! Where at? Tell me about your little flat... I would like to know how you keep so many treasures in it... I thought you lived in a little trailer. Is it a two-bedroom? Is it double wide? I want to know more about this little flat... Also how do you keep a big rooster in it or do you have a little rooster? LOL

Anonymous said...

Gosh Kath the faster I go the behinder I get. Thinking of you though. Hope your new neighbor will be a good friend for you to have some fun with. I wouldn't like that bucket bumping my window either especially since I've been sleeping so much lately. Paula