"HAPPY DAYS"
LOTS OF MILLS WERE COMMON.
MANY YEARS AGO.
SO HERES ANOTHER STORY.
FOR YOU TO ENJOY SO.
THE RAG MILL WAS A PLACE BACK THEN.
WHERE PEOPLE TOOK OLD CLOTHES.
FROM JUMPERS TROUSERS ANYTHING EVEN OLD WOOL THROWS.
YOU HANDED THEM OVER FOR WEIGHING.
TO SEE WHAT THEY WERE WORTH.
THEY WOULD GIVE YOU A FEW ODD COPPERS,
BUT YOU THOUGHT YOU'D GOT THE EARTH.
THEY THEN PASSED ON TO THE WOMEN.
WHO WOULD CUT THE BUTTONS AWAY.
WHEN THE CART WAS FULL THEY WOULD TIP THEM OUT.
IN THE FIELD WHERE I LIVED EACH DAY.
MOTHER WOULD ASK US TO GO THERE.
TO GATHER UP WHAT WE COULD.
SOME WERE MADE OF METAL.
OTHERS WERE MADE OF WOOD.
GLASS ONES ALL PRETTY COLOURS.
BLACK ONES TOO WE WOULD FIND.
ANY SORT WOULD DO SHE WOULD SAY.
SHE REALY DIDN'T MIND.
THEN MOTHER WOULD PUT THEM IN A BIG PAN.
ONTO THE FIRE TO BOIL.
SO THAT THEY WERE STERALIZED.
REMOVING ALL DIRT AND SOIL.
THE NEXT JOB FOR ME WAS THE SORTING.
ALL COLOURS BRIGHT AND GAY.
RED ONES YELLOW ONES BLUE ONES.
AFTER SCHOOL I DID IT EACH DAY.
BOILED AND CLEAN WE WOULD PLACE THEM.
IN VARIOUS JARS AND TINS.
THE ODD ONES THAT GOT BROKEN.
WE THREW OUT INTO THE BINS.
WHEN THEY WERE ALL SORTED.
WE WOULD PLACE THEM ALL IN A LINE.
MATCHING UP SETS FROM ALL OF THEM
AND THREAD THEM TOGETHER ON TWINE.
MOTHER WOULD THEN START SEWING.
AND KNITTING GARMENTS GALORE.
FOR ALL THE KIDS IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD.
BECAUSE LOTS OF THEM WERE POOR.
THE GARMENTS THEN ALL FINISHED,
SHE'D SAY GET OUT JARS AND TINS.
TO CHOOSE A SET OF BUTTONS.
TO SEW ON THE COMPLETED THINGS.
NOTHING WAS EVER WASTED.
THERE WAS A USE FOR THEM ALL.
EVEN THE BIG LARGE BLACK ONES.
SHE SEWED ON MENS OVERALL.
I LOVED TO GO TO THE BUTTON FIELD.
WHEN I WAS JUST A KID.
TIMES WERE HARD IN THEM DAYS.
BUT HAPPY WITH THINGS WE DID.
SO WHEN YOU LOOK AT A BUTTON.
REMEMBER MY RHYME IT'S TRUE.
WE NEVER HAD ON OUR GARMENTS.
A BUTTON which WAS BRAND NEW.
EVERYTHINGS TAKEN FOR GRANTED.
TODAY IN THIS DAY AND AGE.
ALSO TOYS AND ALL OTHER THINGS.
WHATEVER BE IT THE rage .
KIDS CAN HAVE THERE SELECTION.
OF WHATEVER HAS COME THERE WAY.
BUT I BET THEY DON'T HAVE HALF AS MUCH FUN.
AS WE DID IN OUR "HAPPY DAYS"
Astoriasand http://journals .aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES
9 comments:
I love the story of the buttons. I have several jars of old buttons saved from old clothes ...they do come in handy every now and then. I don't sew much any more so they don't get used as much as they used to. So many things we take for granted were luxuries in the past. The pictures go with the ryhme just perfectly too ! 'On Ya'- ma
Kath you know I love your Rhymes ~ and your graphics go perfectly with this one ~ Ally
this is great andthanks for leaving your link so I could visit you. CONGRATS on the nomnation :>}
So fascinating...and I loved all the pretty buttons. My mother used to have a huge box full of all different kinds of buttons when I was small. I used to love to get the box out and just look through them. They really don't make buttons now like they did way back when. Thanks for visiting. I'll be back. xx Chris
Hi. thanks for visiting my journal and for the congrats. The same to you. Your journal is really nice. I loved this entry; will have to come back and take a liesurely stroll. God bless you.
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK
http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/THROUGHGOD'SEYES
Thank you for visiting my journal ,you said you come often ,this is the first time Ive been to yours ,how have I missed you? its delightful I will be back ,have put you on my alerts now,I loved this,and I look forward to getting to know you and yes we cut buttons off old things ,Were the big gold ones Womens Intstitute ones ?,.,.,Jan xx
That is the cutest Rhyme ever! This whole entry made me smile. Graphics and all. You do such great work! :)
http://journals.aol.com/mrsm711/LatteDah/ Tracy
hi Kathy...
my mum used to cut all the buttons off old garments and save them in a tin and i still have them and i used to do this too and i still have the tin with all mum's buttons and my own collection too!
Astra!
What a wonderful, wonderful entry. I love old buttons but they're just clutter at my house. I just really like this story. It speaks to my heart.
Post a Comment